WELCOME TO GRAMP'S TOOLSHE

WELCOME TO GRAMP'S TOOLSHED







Guns, Dungeons&Dragons, Catholic, Libertarian, booklover, weird sense of humor, and lifelong soldier.






Monday, February 13, 2012

Snub nose Revolvers

I am starting to think a lot more about snub nosed .38 specials and .357 magnums. 

They are the most common conceal carry pistols in America.  Up until now, I had not been very interested in them because the .38 special cartridge is nothing special (pardon the pun), and neither has a decent round capacity.  They only carry 5, or sometimes 6 rounds.

I have been more interested in pocket pistols like 9mm in Kel Tec, Ruger, Taurus etc.  These have more common ammunition, higher round capacities, and are more fun to shoot. 

I recently read about how if you are in hand to hand combat, and you need to press your gun against the aggressor to fire, that the slide on a pistol will depress, and malfunction, possibly firing 1 shot, but probably none at all. 

The benefit of the snub nose revolver is that it is a solid frame, and so it doesn't have a slide, and in that situation, you could fire all 5 or 6 rounds. 

I also like that they are generally cheap.  It looks like they can be purchased new for around $300. I would probably want to save up and get one of the Ruger models for around $450 though.  I like the model chambered in .357 magnum. 

A member of the family recently bought the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard with the laser mounted on it.  I am still waiting to hear back about the first trip to the range to see how it handles.  Can't wait to give it a try myself!!! 

I am a little bummed out that Taurus doesn't still make their model chambered in 9mm.  I know that it is marginally less effective then .38 special, but at least then I could have commonality of rounds.  If I do decide to get one of these pistols, then I will be opening up an entirely new line of ammunition that I will have to start stocking up on.  And just to keep it versatile, I will probably get one of those .357 magnums just so I can shoot that round and the .38 special through it. 

Gotta love buying new guns!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment