WELCOME TO GRAMP'S TOOLSHE

WELCOME TO GRAMP'S TOOLSHED







Guns, Dungeons&Dragons, Catholic, Libertarian, booklover, weird sense of humor, and lifelong soldier.






Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Decline and Fall of National Review

Let me start off by putting this in perspective:

I have been a fan of National Review for almost my entire adult life.  I started reading them before my first tour in Iraq, and have had a subscription ever since.

One of my proudest moments as a young guy was when K-Lo posted one of my emails on the corner and talked about it. 

Several of my favorite authors work there or contribute. 

This magazine has been the foundation of my political exploration as an adult, and has helped to form my opinions, and guide my beliefs.

All this has made their current shilling for Romney all the more dissapointing and discouraging.  I can't believe how far off the edge of credibility they have gone to support a man who doesn't deserve the support of the conservative movement.  He is a figure of the status quo, and a moderate squish who will do nothing to reverse the horrible policies that have left our country gasping for 80 years.

Right now there should be an ongoing war on the Corner between his supporters and those critical of him.  Instead, everything is being framed as how great he is, and how he could be even more awesome.  They have allowed a handful of honest articles to come out, but instead of seriously debating them, they have buried and forgotten them. 

This is not the magazine that I love.

They are loosing their credibility every day.  It kills me to read them now.  It's like a bad joke, and I am waiting for them to say "suprise!!"  We never meant it!! 

But in reality, it is just a fact that they have decided to trade the credibility they had for a little bit of influence among the powerful people in the Beltway. 

This is a betrayal of the first order.  I still hold out hope that more principled heads will emerge, but in reality I know that it is only a matter of time before they are just generic shills for whatever the Establishment wants them to say. 

A sad day in the conservative movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment